Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Sewing Frenzy




This week Mendy and family are vacationing in Tennessee so I've had a whole nine days to myself. I've missed them terribly but it's been very relaxing to do things on my own schedule. (I usually help Mendy with Lilly, my granddaughter, three days a week.)

The first thing I did was head to the local library for a good book. I chose Franklin & Lucy, the story of President Franklin Roosevelt and Lucy Rutherford, the woman he had an affair with during much of his presidency. As my girls would say, pretty random, huh? I'm not sure why it "spoke" to me from the library's shelf, but it 's actually pretty interesting!

Next, I decided that I would really enjoy spending some uninterrupted time sewing. I did a little machine embroidery for a friend, made an "eye spy" bag, and then while checking out some sewing blogs, found a really cute fabric flower tutorial here. I loved the flower and headed immediately to Walmart to find some suitable coordinating fabrics so I could give it a try. Once I'd made the flower, I decided it would be so cute on a dress for Lilly, so the dress you see above is the finished product. I love it! I plan to make another matching flower for her hair.


I have two more sewing projects to try and complete this week. If I'm successful, I'll post those later. One is a cute little sleep mat for a preschooler and the other is a hot pink, fleece jacket for my great niece. I think I'm going to try the same fabric flower in fleece.


Anyway, I'm in the midst of a sewing frenzy here! So much fabric, so little time, so I'm heading back to the sewing room now. Can anyone fix Mickey's dinner tonight? Oh well, I'm sure he'll understand. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails